Ron,

That does make sense to me.  As Joe points out, the function dumps ALL cache
and then reloads it.  I am not certain but based upon what you found, the
cache may not have been completely refreshed from the restart of the server.
(Perhaps if I make enough steps out of bounds in answering you, Doug Mueller
himself will step in and "correct" me, or at least fill in the blanks )

If I remember (a big IF), perhaps I will bring up this issue at the WWRUG on
the night we meet with the Engineers (including Doug).  If I don't remember,
perhaps someone on the list will remind me when we are standing around the
BMC Engineering staff (I heard Darius is going to be there this year -
Again)!

One of the interesting things about what you are doing is that even when you
only suspect something may be wrong (like seeing a setting you would expect
to be refreshed with a restart or cache flush) it is most helpful, if time
allows (for non-production issues mainly) to capture - even if it is just a
screen shot - what you find before you perform the function that you think
may correct or otherwise impact the current conditions.  As you have
discovered, after the proposed fix is put in place it is often times
impossible to identify the root cause.  Taking data points along the way may
seem like a lot of work to do for very little return, but the fact that you
have theorized what you suspect may have been the cause is a good gut feel
indication that you were probably right.  The use of the resulting
documentation can be used by the rest of the team and put into a KB or other
repository that would otherwise go by the wayside.

As a consultant, it is truly valuable for me to leave my customers with
documentation of what was performed and why.  Although this may appear to
eliminate the need for them to hire you back, it actually works in your (and
their) favor.  Both parties benefit since they not only have the "work
product" and supporting documentation of your efforts, but you instill a
level of trust with all those you interact with.  Good in case they want to
call you back for more work as well as leaving a trail of great references
JJ

Phil Bautista, WWRUG11 Advisory Board

512-731-0304

Social -  <http://www.facebook.com/phil.bautista>