We have been pounding the devil out of the 7.6.04.00 and 01 User Tools for
months now as we worked on our 7.6.04 upgrade, and we crash it regularly.  The
7.6.03 User Tool was far more stable, but then we weren't asking it to load
forms like HPD:Help Desk that have been modified for web-only use in 7.6.04.
It crashes less frequently on 32-bit Vista, or even 32-bit Windows 7 than it
does on 64-bit Windows 7, but unless you upgrade a 32-bit Vista box to Windows
7 you will have to search high and low for a new install of Windows 7 that is
NOT 64-bit.  Dell and HP and everyone else installs 64-bit for home and above,
so the targeting of 32-bit Windows 7 as the only supported version is a bit
ludicrous. I had to make a special trip to my MSDN account to actually find the
32-bit version so that we could try it on a spare desktop we had available.  It
still crashes there more than on Vista, probably because it has IE 9 instead of
8 installed.  Mid-tier 7.6.04.01 doesn't really support IE 9 yet.

The User Tool also gets installed on the 64-bit Windows servers by default,
2003 or 2008, and is somewhat crash-prone there as well.  So an exploding User
Tool is the new normal; learn to enjoy it and start an office pool on how many
forms you can open before the thing dies.  Try to stay out of the consoles and
primary ticketing forms.  Or try using the new web reporting tools via the
mid-tier instead; it builds a whole new appreciation for the User Tool even if
it isn't quite stable ;-)   Personally, I keep a User Tool running 24x7 on my
lame old 32-bit Vista box to scan the Email Messages form for outgoing, unsent
traffic every 5 minutes, and it runs for days there even with occasional
foundation form lookups.  I tried the same thing on 32-bit XP and it performed
self-defenestration too easily.  Migrator 7.6.04.01 also works best on 32-bit
Vista, but I'll leave the things that are wrong with Migrator for another
thread.

At least our users are blissfully unaware of all this; we told them that there
is no Windows User Tool for them to use in 7.6.04.  They're happy in a web
browser until they try to get a report; that's yet another thread of woe.  I
can't wait to hear about that at our post-upgrade review tomorrow after 40 days
(and nights) of 7.6.04.01 in production :-o

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/