I believe you still need session persistence with the mid-tier in 7.6.  You
do not (and have not really) required session persistence with the ARServer.
 A whitepaper available for 7.6 details this.

The timeout on the load balancer needs to match or exceed the session
timeout of your mid-tier application.
If you are using a single sign on solution the mid-tier session timeout
needs to be less than or equal to the SSO session timeout.

So this would be a valid combination:
Mid-tier Session Timeout: 60 minutes
SSO Session Timeout: 120 minutes
Load Balancer Session Persistence Expiration: 60 minutes

In order for a J2EE application to not require session persistence a number
of things have to be in place:
- all objects in the container must be serializable
- the container nodes in the farm must be configured as a cluster (session
information must be serialized)

There are some things that make me believe this is not possible with the
midtier.  Some information that is session specific is written to disk.  I
doubt these can be properly replicated between the J2EE containers.

Axton