Great! Thank you!

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Axton
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:21 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Software load balancer with AR Server and Mistier

** http://documents.bmc.com/supportu/documents/61/98/186198/186198.pdf

The information is a bit vague in regards to load balancer configuration in
front of the midtier/web servers, but note that in the whitepaper, everywhere
it says that session persistence is not required, it refers to it as the load
balancer between the midtier and arservers or in front of the arservers.

The release notes make the following statement:
http://documents.bmc.com/supportu/documents/43/74/184374/184374.pdf

New load balancer configuration options
If your AR System uses a hardware load balancer between the mid tier servers
and AR System servers, BMC recommends configuring that load balancer without
using a sticky bit by using the Connection Settings page in the BMC Remedy Mid
Tier Configuration tool.

Note that it does not state to turn it off for the load balancer in front of
the mid-tier.

You might be able to get away without setting up session persistence with the
later versions of the midtier since the API does not have a native library
dependency (assuming they implemented the serializable interface for all the
non-native session specific things), but there is extra configuration you need
to do with your J2EE container.  For Tomcat, see here:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html

To run session replication in your Tomcat 6.0 container, the following steps
should be completed:
- All your session attributes must implement java.io.Serializable
- Uncomment the Cluster element in server.xml
- If you have defined custom cluster valves, make sure you have the
ReplicationValve defined as well under the Cluster element in server.xml
- If your Tomcat instances are running on the same machine, make sure the
tcpListenPort attribute is unique for each instance, in most cases Tomcat is
smart enough to resolve this on it's own by autodetecting available ports in
the range 4000-4100
- Make sure your web.xml has the <distributable/> element
- If you are using mod_jk, make sure that jvmRoute attribute is set at your
Engine <Engine name="Catalina" jvmRoute="node01" > and that the jvmRoute
attribute value matches your worker name in workers.properties
- Make sure that all nodes have the same time and sync with NTP service!
- Make sure that your loadbalancer is configured for sticky session mode.

So even with Tomcat cluster configurations the load balancer must have session
persistence.  I imagine the strategy with the above statements is to support a
session moving from one node to another node in the event a node fails, not to
simply allow any random request to go to any node.

Again, the J2EE container cluster configuration may or may not work.  I can't
find anything stating experimentation either way.

Axton

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Richard Copits