The "I want you to Opcat1 the Opcat1 on my Opcat3" method is actually from
my white paper.  There are some frills and dressings therein, though.

Rick
On Sep 22, 2011 9:05 AM, "Martinez, Marcelo A" <marc...@cpchem.com> wrote:
> Rick,
> I am interested in reading your whitepaper. I will go look for it.
>
> We started (from BMC's recommendation) verb-noun-noun schema... then
switched to noun-noun-verb (again per BMC's recommendation). A few months
ago @ one of the training sessions I attended, the recommendation (from BMC)
was "I want to ____________ ____________ on my ______________."

> I always wondered how BMC really intended the Tiers to work.. after all,
they must have built the canned reports around a few of the category
structures.. no? There must be a reason why Tier 1 is mandatory but not Tier
2 or 3... many questions, that I never got an answer for.

> BTW, ITSM 7.6.04 --- IMO, BMC has steered away from heavy use of the
categorization, instead, they rely more on "services", no?

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Rick Cook

panc...@finityit.com>> wrote:
>> This topic comes up every once and awhile on arslist. I talked to a few
>> people at WWRUG that have really struggled with this. I would be
interested
>> to see if we can have people submit 5 examples of operational
categorization
>> for Incident Management they use and why they chose the method. In the
end
>> we should end up with a pretty decent list that people can use when
trying
>> to define categorizations.
>>

>> Examples
>>

>> Incident - Application - Error
>>
>> Request - Password - Reset
>>
>> Request - Question - How-To
>>
>> Event - System - Approaching Threshold
>>
>> Inquiry - Suspicious Activity - Malicious Code
>>

>> I've used this approach to allow for reporting and setting business rules
>> per ITIL process (incident, request, event, and security management).
Tier
>> 2 is for the what under each process and lines up with an organizations
>> services, technical areas, and key support areas. Tier 3 is a simplified
>> explanation of the issue the user is calling about.
>>

>> I continually try to come up with different ways to simplify the
>> categorization, so that it is useful to the business, but also easy
enough
>> for the Service Desk people to quickly chose the right categorization for
>> the ticket. I really appreciate everyone's input and insight. I know this
>> is always a burning issue for new Remedy admin/developers to seasoned.
>>

>> Brian Pancia
>> President
>>

>> Finity IT, LLC
>>
>> 44081 Pipeline Plaza, Suite 100-5
>>
>> Ashburn, VA 20147
>> Tel: (571) 252-5090 x301
>> Fax: (571) 222-0043
>> <mailto:brian.pan...@finityit.com<mailto:brian.pan...@finityit.com>>
brian.pan...@finityit.com<mailto:brian.pan...@finityit.com>

>> <http://www.finityit.com/> www.finityit.com<http://www.finityit.com>
>>

>> Finity IT, LLC is a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
(SDVOSB).
>> Finity IT is a leading provider of IT Optimization services and
solutions.
>> Specializing in Service Management, Enterprise Architecture, and
Solutions
>> Arcitecture services.
>>

>> DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this e-mail and its attachments
>> contain confidential information belonging to the sender, which is
legally
>> privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the
>> recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
>> notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in reliance
>> upon the contents of the information transmitted is strictly prohibited.
If
>> you have received this information in error, please delete it
immediately.

http://www.arslist.org>
>> attend wwrug11 www.wwrug.com<http://www.wwrug.com> ARSList: "Where the
Answers Are"