From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Ben Chernys
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 5:09 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: ARS 7.1 P6 Server -- 4 days restarting (possible memory OS 32bit
issue) signal is 11

**
Hi Mark, Patrick,

Signal 11 is SIGSEGV which is not necessarily a malloc failure though indeed a
malloc failure may lead to it.  It is not always possible to log malloc
failures - after all it takes some memory to cut a log record.

A segmentation violation is always the result of bad code (accessing memory not
allocated to the process or not in the processes address space - which 0 is a
candidate (malloc's return value on failure)).

That being said, it is possible to not trigger the execution path with that bad
code by altering filters etc, so definitely the route to go on is along the
lines that Mark talked:   the core is always a wealth of info - even though ARS
will not have debugging compiled in ;-)  I would also turn on all logging.
SQL, API, Filter on the server, and unlimited, and pointing to the same file
until the next occurrence.  Then you will have a wealth of ARS information to
go through.  Generally something will stand out.

Recursive filter loops are usually trapped by the maximum filter limit - though
if that is set high enough the process will run out of memory before hitting up
against that.  If yours is high, you could try setting it lower.

You may also want to go to a higher patch level if one is available.  I am no
longer that familiar with the patches available on 7.1.

Also, I know that memory on  Solaris may be restricted by the admin.  (I forget
the commands to determine this - but they will be easily found on the web).
ulimits Perhaps?

Cheers

Ben Chernys

Senior Software Architect
Software Tool House Inc.

Canada / Deutschland / Germany
Mobile:      +49 171 380 2329    GMT + 1 + [ DST ]
Email:       Ben.Chernys _AT_
softwaretoolhouse.com<mailto:ben.cher...@softwaretoolhouse.com>
Web:         www.softwaretoolhouse.com<http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com>

Check out Software Tool House's free Diary Editor.

Meta-Update, our premium ARS Data tool, lets you automate
your imports, migrations, in no time at all, without programming,
without staging forms, without merge workflow.
http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/