I agree with your technical dissection of the construct, Axton.  When I
presented my findings to BMC a few years ago, their engineers basically said
the same thing.  I have no problem with the idea behind it, or its
function.  It certainly has a real value to a relatively few larger
customers who pump thousands or tens of thousands of entries into their
Remedy systems daily.

But that's where the value ends, IMO.  I therefore don't understand why BMC
made this setting (value depends on the version) the default across all
forms, since it messes up, or presents the potential to mess up, other
things.  These aren't big things, but they are anomalies in say, the
synchronization between Entry ID and Create Date, or the possibility of
missing Entry IDs, that are introduced with no corresponding value add.  I
would like to see BMC explain their decision to apply OOB settings for all
customers that really offer value only to a very small percentage of their
customers.

Rick