Oh Matt...here we go again my friend,

Unfortunately, this compatibility matrix answer falls into the all to familiar
category of "latest versions and higher are supported."  This was also the
answer to Windows 2008 server 64 bit.  Because the compatibility matrix states
as long as the VENDOR does not significantly change their software higher
versions are supported.  When is their a higher version not supported?  Answer
- there isn't a time. Respectfully, this falls under the SDLC of release it and
the community will find the bugs.    I never used to see this happen before the
exponential growth of ARS into the BMC movement.  Mostly, after 7.6.  I
understand with growth, this happens.  But at what point to engineers tell
management this type of reasoning does not work in the technical world?  I
appreciate the need to grow.  Certainly, but at what cost?  Why did Firefox
become a replacement for IE?  IE had much larger growth.  The answer is because
Firefox was engineered better
 and due to this performed better on javascript.  Sometimes, it is not always
about growth.

In the case of Windows 2008 server 64 bit the OS location for the ODBC drivers
(folder location) were changed.  This was not caught when you would think,
during testing of the product.  We (the customer) caught this after the
official release.  We filed an RFE, which has been out in RFE land somewhere
since.  The official explanation and fix was blamed on Microsoft because, you
guessed it, they changed the software.  My question is, when is it ever BMC's
responsibility to test the software for complete compatibility prior to
release.  Not just operational compatibility?  Since this fell under the
statement "compatible unless the vendor has any significant changes" we fell
under the party line of "it's compatible".  When we demonstrated the
incompatibility with the ODBC we were met with silence.  As seems to be a
popular technique currently employed by premier support.  I mean no disrespect
because I know those engineers are doing the best they
 can.  But they are handcuffed.

I am not trying to sandbag here.  What I am trying to say is that statement on
the compatibility matrix is a catch all and an example of a greater problem.
If you use that statement, one could logically say that as long as the
date/version of the vendor's release is a higher more current version, BMC is
compatible.  Which is extremely presumptuous and the flaw with that logic is
demonstrated above.  That is just one of so many examples.  This is the
unfortunate case with the compatibility matrix and strategically, BMC
currently.  I understand your explanation Matt.  I respect it.  However, it's
just not technically sound from an engineer standpoint. It is sales and
management coating over a technical flaw with the system.  A wise salesman once
told me, never invite engineers to a demo.  Why?  Because sales explanations
are not compatible with engineers.

Back to the point.  In order for this compatibility matrix statement to really
work, Microsoft, Oracle/Sun and Red Hat would need to go to BMC and explain
every change that was made to the OS (and DB's etc).  I don't believe that will
happen and honestly, BMC has probably realized this too.  BMC is a one customer
among millions to these companies. However, in lue of this, complete and
correctly engineered test scenarios would catch things like ODBC folders simply
being placed in a different directory. Instead this compatibility matrix is the
fix.  I am not trying to be blunt or short in any way but I have seen this
become the standard answer from BMC during 7.5 and after 7.6 release.
Unfortunately, it appears the user community is becoming the test engineers for
BMC.

Matt, this is one of the specific problems we spoke about in the other posts.