From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Drew Shuller
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:34 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: How To Relate A Record In One Table To A Record In Another Table;
custom app

Good afternoon everyone. I have what seems like a simple question.

I have a 6.3 Change app where the users need to be able to relate a
trouble ticket. This is pretty easy and straightforward. I'm doing it
the old way and asking the users to create a trouble ticket from the
Change app, and inserting the Change record number into a field on the
Trouble Ticket system and pulling that back via a table in the form.
That's one button. There's another button that will relate an existing
Trouble Ticket by opening a small dialog, entering the Trouble Ticket
number, and pressing a button that fires an AL that does a push
fields, adding the Change record number to the Trouble Ticket. This
works OK...

But we also have a business rule in place that prevents modifications
to closed tickets, so if the ticket number that the user enters in
that dialog is closed, the push fails. We would still want to relate a
closed ticket as this might have been an Emergency change, meaning
that we're keeping track of the change after it happened. Any trouble
tickets would be in closed status.

So...is there any way to write a qual for the Filter that is
preventing the mofication of closed records so that it allows
exceptions? I looked at the keywords, and I'm not sure if any of the
CURRENTWIND or EVENTTYPE will be suitable. I don't know if FIELDID
would be useful but it won't work on the Web. I can see where the
DIALOG or VUI keywords may be useful, if the dialog I call from the
Change app is a view of the Trouble Ticket form (I'm going to try
DIALOG right now, maybe it will work). I could user USER or GROUP, but
a lot of my Change app users are also Trouble Ticket users and they
would be able to modify the closed tickets.

Any suggestions? Running an INSERT command direct to the db?

Thanks in advance,

Drew
Comayagua, Honduras