Hey Ken...

I guess what I am trying to say is that - I don't think you could
build such a generic interface. Maybe some approximation thereof, but
not completely. Once you have this API, then what - build a new suite
of toolsets to leverage the API?

We are currently using Abydos - I am extrapolating from this concept -
to suggest that process definition/engineering should supersede API
augmentation if we are looking at a way to make ITSM more efficient.