I envisioned the interfaces implemented as web services, not as an API.  A
web service layer makes plugging into other things easier.  One of the
drivers for me starting this conversation is what I see many of the cloud
providers offering and leveraging as their interfaces into and out of their
applications.  I have some exposure to the service oriented architecture as
well, which plays into this paradigm nicely.

If, within Remedy, all the interfaces were exposed as web services and
Remedy had a native way to consumer those web service based interfaces, it
opens the door nicely for other things to operate at that level.  Web
services seem to be a common method of integration in the cloud space.  SOA
infrastructure deployments seem to be in their infancy, but I see them
gaining traction, as long as they are capable of delivering on their value
proposition.
http://www.zapthink.com/2005/01/27/the-roi-of-soa/

The lifecycle around services is pretty well defined in this space as well.
http://www.soablueprint.com/whitepapers/SOAPGPart3.pdf

Axton Grams