As far as I know, the load balancer in front of the midtier still
needs to use session persistence.  The whitepaper refers to the load
balancer in front of the AR Server.

If using an F5 BigIP LTM, make sure that you have set up a OneConnect
profile for the VIP:
http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/7000/200/sol7208.html

If you look at your request/response pairs and the http access logs on
the midtier server, see if your requests are bouncing between multiple
nodes.  If they are there is an issue with your session persistence
configuration.  There are several different methods of session
persistence:
- Source IP
- Cookie Insert

The Cookie Insert method is the best option for the midtier servers,
but it requires that a OneConnect profile be configured.  The Source
IP method does not handle many situations as well as the cookie insert
method:
- Many clients are behind a NAT, thus they have the same source IP
- Clients use load balanced forward proxy servers (they may send
requests with different IP addresses)

See this for a recent discussion on the topic of midtier load balancer
configurations:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.crm.arsystem.general/100236

Axton Grams