Everyone,

Just to be clear about the design and intent of overlays and BMC's position.

There is going to be a "recommended best practice" vs. a "what can you really
do".

So, let's start with the Recommended best practice.

The base layer is for things delivered from BMC or by BMC applications.  This
includes:

n  System forms

n  Applications from BMC

n  Things changed to applications through configuration that result in
structure changes.  For
example, changing classes to the CMDB through the class manager will actually
make the changes
in the base layer or new filters with SLM will create in the Base layer.

NOTE: there are some times - like when you set up an SLA on a custom added
attribute - where
the SLA filter may end up in overlay but that is only when you are referring to
a custom object.

Think of it as - it is from BMC.

The overlay layer is owned by the customer.  This would be things you add as
new objects and things
where you overlay a BMC definition and change it in some way.  All of these
things end up in the overlay
layer.

This approach makes things crystal clear about who owns things where and who is
allowed to change
things.

Note: In the future, there will be more capability with multiple overlay layers
which would allow things
like a partner to have their layer separate from BMC and from the end customer.

So, as much as possible, this is the way to think about things.

But, on to the second topic of what can you really do if desired (although not
best practice)....

If you create new objects in the base layer (except views and fields which I
will get to), they will be left
alone and will not be affected by upgrades.  We will continue to leave things
we don't know about as
they are.

HOWEVER, if you try and add a field or a view to a BMC form, even if it is just
adding a NEW view or field,
we are likely to affect it.  We will likely remove it as it is OUR form and we
found things on it that are
wrong so we clean it up.  So, DO NOT add fields or views to BMC forms in Base
mode under any
conditions.  You can of course add fields/views in the overlay.

Another risk is that if something has a name overlap, we will overwrite your
definition.  So, if we create
a new form or new workflow that happens to have the same name, we will wipe
your definition.  If it was
in overlay mode, we would notice the conflict.

If you want to change any BMC definition, you of course must use the overlay.
Even if you don't have
any BMC apps, you do have BMC system forms and you may have the CMDB.  Any
adjustments to
anything there must be done in an overlay.

So, can you choose to leave your custom objects in Base?  Absolutely.  The
system will function correctly
and will upgrade just fine.  However, there is assistance to move it to the
overlay layer and I would
encourage you to do that just for purity and clarity - BMC in Base/Customer in
Overlay.

I hope this is clear.   Things will work either way if you follow the rules,
but the recommendation is to
use the overlay structure fully and properly by isolating BMC and customer work
areas.

Doug Mueller