Hey Hari...

Some quick opinions :

1. Looks like you will be doing selective archiving & not fixed
archiving.  What this means for us is that you will be selecting
criteria for tickets that will be archived as opposed to archiving all
tickets for a fixed time period.  This means that you will have to
make multiple passes during each archive transaction to get older
tickets.
2. If you are going to close tickets - then you will probably want to
get all the data associated with the ticket (i.e. work logs,
attachments etc.).
3. You have to decide whether or not you want to use the same Remedy
interface to look at and retrieve the archived data (you could just
rely on reports).
4. If you use the Remedy interface then - you will have to stand up
another Remedy instance (granted - that there will be only viewing of
data - so there will not be a need for write licenses).
5. Frequency of archiving, and server performance will depend on how
much data you will be moving.
6. DSO may not be the best method for data migration.
7. If you use archive forms - note that the archive forms must be on
the same server as your Remedy instance (this still leaves your data
on your production box).
8. Remedy Migrator is another option (if you can afford it).  You are
able to configure private TCP ports to help reduce the load on the
server. Only drawback - it does not look like there is a way to delete
your record after archiving; therefore, this will have to be an
escalation or some other workflow.
9. In the past I have used EIE OR AIE OR AI - not sure what they are
calling it now.  This works ok, but it's newest incarnation that
leverages the Pentaho Spoon ETL engine looks to be superior (I think
you need version 7.6.04 of ITSM).

There are third party options like (rrchive is free and picks up where
the Migrator left off):

META-UPDATE: http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/product/SthMupd/index.html
RRCHIVE:  http://www.rrr.se/en/