Joe,

Let me add a few things to your list.

I am not interested in consulting anymore, but when I was I learned quickly to
avoid talking to people who weren’t either 1) a BMC partner, or 2) a large
well-known consulting firm.  If the company name seemed to be a list of random
generic I.T. buzzwords (e.g. Technical ITIL Consulting Cloud Solutions), it’s
probably a sign that you aren’t going to get a decent rate.

Also, keep in mind that most companies these days have strict requirements for
what vendors they do business with, which seems to have made the problem worse.
 You have a client that is only willing to bring in consultants from a few
large consulting firms that are preferred vendors.  Those large companies don’t
specialize in Remedy, so they never have anyone available, nor do they wish to
spend the time and money looking for someone.  The result is that they simply
pass it on to smaller consulting companies, who do the work of finding the
right consultant for the job.  Sometimes another layer is added, especially if
there are visa issues involved, and when a consultant is hired you end up with
probably around 15% of the rate going to each of those layers.

I’m fortunate that while my current employer has a rigorous set of demands,
there is a process to bring in a consultant from a company that we haven’t done
business with before, and while strenuous, it is possible.  Many companies
don’t offer that flexibility.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Southern Union