It depends largely on what you bring to the table, the company
offering the position, and what else the position entails.  Consider
these different skill sets:
- I can write workflow
- I can upgrade canned applications
- I can write programs using the API (Java, C, etc.)
- I can write PL/SQL or T-SQL
- I am familiar with network design and implementation and all the
appliances and technologies that come along with it
- I am proficient in Unix/Linux (I can tune the kernel, debug
programs, see everything a process is doing, write shell scripts)
- I am proficient with security practices (firewalls, network design,
hardening servers, etc.)
- I have worked on large Remedy systems (multi-thousand concurrent users)
- I understand and can implement multiple DR arrangements, based on
the needs of the company
- I have a firm grasp of J2EE and related technologies
- I am on a first name basis with the architects of the Remedy
application server
- I maintain a client list that regularly brings billable work
- I am proficient with ...

Typically, the more you bring to the table the more you can demand for
your services.  Remedy is a single piece of software and it does what
it does, but it interacts with so many other things.    There are also
the human and business elements.

If you are proficient in 2 distinct areas and you can creates bridges
between those gaps, you bring value that is rare.  The more areas you
understand well, and the more bridges you can create between those
technologies, the more (rare) value you bring.  The rarer the value
you bring, the more your perceived and real value.

Depending on where the position is and what your responsibilities
entail, the position could offer anywhere from 20k to 300k or more per
year.  Those are both extremes, but I believe positions exist all
through that spectrum.  Take Mr. Mueller as an example.  He knows
Remedy better than anyone, and he has a wide range of technologies
that he is also familiar with, not to mention connections within BMC.
All of those things, and the bridges between them, create value.

If a person can create forms and write workflow, they are not as rare
as someone who also knows networks.  For this reason they will demand
less in terms of compensation than someone who has more to bring to
the table.

Axton Grams