From:         Axton <axton.gr...@gmail.com>
Sender:       "Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)"
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
Date:         Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:54:23
To: <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
Subject: Re: Performance Tuning

As far as the work is concerned, the net cost of the operations is the
same, when using an active link guide versus an active link, to perform
some set of actions.  The difference should be negligible.

Now, if you could somehow send one request to the arserver and retrieve the
data for all the table fields at once, that would be a different story.  It
would also be a different story if the javascript used asynchronous calls
to refresh the table fields.  The active link processing is serial though;
this is why the output to the logs is serial and why the request/response
pairs are serial.

I think it would be a grand change if they could extend the active link
processing (and subsequently, the javascript used to emulate the active
link processing) to break down the workflow and make a determination on
when synchronous/asynchronous calls could be used.  I would even take the
ability to manually specify which calls are asynchronous and which are
synchronous (where the branching in the execution can occur) and define the
synchronization points in the workflow.  This change would go a long way on
the performance of the applications and it would let you have the best of
both worlds (visual characteristics and performance).

Axton Grams