Did you restart your SQL server database engine after you did that change? To
the best of my knowledge, that change mandates a restart of the database
engine..

Joe

From: Elry
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 11:48 AM
Newsgroups: public.remedy.arsystem.general
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: View Form Fails With Linked Database

** Hi Folks...

I am having a little trouble creating and saving a View Form based on a MSSQL
to MSSQL database link.

Environment:
  a.. Windows Server 2008

  b.. ARS 7.5 Patch 2

  c.. MSSQL Server 2008

Preface:

We have followed what is outlined in the manual for this procedure:

Setting up a remote database for view forms
SQL Server Setup
  a.. Create a link to the remote database and either give ARAdmin an account
on the remote database or use the proper login credentials.
  b.. Turn on Distributed Transaction Coordinator for both the local and the
remote databases.
  c.. Specify the following server configuration setting in the ar.conf
(ar.cfg) file:
  SQL-Server-Set-ANSI-Defaults: T

  This setting enables the DB-Library connection that AR System uses to use
ANSI-NULLs and ANSI warnings. There should be no impact on the performance of
the database. For more information about the ar.conf (ar.cfg) file, see
theConfiguration Guide.

  The format for the table name is:

LINKNAME.DATABASENAME.OWNER.TABLENAME

What happens:
  1.. We try to connect to this table:
swarsdog23\inac.arsystem.dbo.INAC_SDS_DATA_PPL_People

  2.. The available columns that are returned are all Integers.
  3.. We try to go ahead and create the View Form anyway.
  4.. When we try to save we get a save failed error 552. that references SQL
Server 102:  Failure during SQL operation to the database syntax near '\'. (SQL
Server 102).
  5.. The CREATE statement in the SQL Log uses the table name:
swarsdog23\inac.arsystem.dbo.INAC_SDS_DATA_PPL_People
  6.. When I run straight SQL from the calling database we can execute and
return entries:  SELECT * from
"swarsdog23\inac".arsystem.dbo.INAC_SDS_DATA_PPL_People
Conclusions:
  1.. Somehow the Linked Server Name is creating a problem.
  2.. We have tried "[ ]" and using double quotes in the View Table creation
wizard and this fails; therefore, we cannot alter the naming.
  3.. Somehow in the CREATE statement - ARS fails to place quotes around the
LINKNAME.
  4.. swarsdog23 is the name of our production database server (not the real
name, but the syntax is correct) - we cannot change this right now.

Query:
  1.. Is it the name of the database server that poses the probem?  OR
  2.. Is this a bug?