It would be as slow or fast as how efficient your query is to generate that view. If it is the entire table you are creating that view, and if it is a very large table, make sure that the columns that you use in the ARS for for any possible queries are indexed on that underlying table. 18,000 rows is not a significantly large table. Its up there but not that high enough.. Indexes will not significantly improve an already acceptable level of performance you might experience unless you have a query to that table while processing each record.. in that case even a tenth of a second saved for each record would be a few minutes saved in the long run..

Joe

-----Original Message----- From: Nancy Tietz Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:06 PM Newsgroups: public.remedy.arsystem.general
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: question on Pulling in external data via a SQL

Hi Mark -
My concern in using a 'View Form' is that it is supposed to be very slow for 18,000 rows to process.
Do you feel this is still a concern?

Thanks for the response!
Nancy

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Brittain, Mark
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:50 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

Not quite sure exactly it is you are doing but let me see if I can give you a few ideas to work with.

1. In Remedy create a "View Form" pointing to the Oracle table/view.
2. Set the staging table to point to the "View Form"
3. Create the filters you need to do the work, leaving Execute On blank and put them in a Filter Guide. The guide will use the filter(s) Run If qualification but will ignore the Execute On and Execution Order. All of the filters in the guide will run on each table row. 4. Create a call guide filter and select the filter guide and check Table Loop to walk through each row of your table.

Also on your staging table you might want to set up a qualification so that the table only contains the rows you want to work. Filter Guides can be a little trick and if you have not done one I would suggest experimenting with an Active Link Guide so you can see what is happening, but you have to start with a refresh table action.

Hope this helps
Mark