From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Longwing, LJ CTR MDA/IC
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 2:57 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Looking for a cheap way to run OOB crystal reports in 7.6.4

Howard,
I know not of what sort of difficulty I speak when I say this....so please
take it with a grain of salt as either complete lunacy or a doable solution,
depending on your personal and team capabilities.

Now...when we look at the fact that the user tool can utilize these reports
yet the web can't....let's analyze the 'why' of that.  The native client has
access to the Crystal Reports runtime engine, where the Mid-Tier does not.
This tells that in order to run/print the reports, you do NOT need to
purchase the crystal reports server...you simply need to be able to interact
with the CR runtime.  So....this is my proposal, and it is off the top of my
head with completely 0 research as to its feasibility.  Write yourself
either a C or a Java application that can do two things.

1 - Log into the Remedy server to get at the report
2 - Interact with the CR runtime (this is the part that I have NO clue
about)

Once written, this application should be able to be called with a button
press, or an escalation, or whatever manner you chose, and it should be able
to log on, get the report in question, process the data in Remedy through
the report, and provide the output in any manner that you deem desirable.

I know, I know....easier said than done...but certainly in the feasible
realm....in fact, a quick google on 'crystal reports runtime java' came up
with an article as the first entry

http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/support/com/doc/other_examples/Crystal_Report
s.htm

that describes a VERY simple java program that executes a report.  It uses a
DSN to connect...which could obviously be setup with the Remedy ODBC as the
data source....if I'm not mistaken the 'query' is also readily accessible as
well

I see this as a VERY doable solution to being able to run the reports from
server command line, and even mail the darn things out :)