David,
  You are correct in how the logs roll over.  On Unix/Linux logs, to find the
end of the log you can search for <END OF LOG FILE>.  Everything after that is
earlier than what is above it.

It sounds like the new config option makes the regular logs work like the newer
java logs (where you can keep a set number of logs.
I have a script that I use thru cron (task scheduler in Windows) that I use to
save my log files every 10 minutes.  Doing so allows me to keep an entire day's
worth of log files for debugging and support.

   #! /usr/bin/ksh
   #
   #  Name:        save_log.sh
   #  Developed:   05/05/2003 Fred Grooms
   #
   if [ -z "$ARCONFIGDIR" ]
   then
           ARS_ROOT=/opt/ars
           ARCONFIGDIR=${ARS_ROOT}/ars
           AR_TMP_DIR=${ARCONFIGDIR}/tmp
           AR_LOG_DIR=${ARCONFIGDIR}/Logs
   fi
   #
   cur=`date +%H%M`
   # Set the location of the existing files and where to save them
   logpath=${AR_LOG_DIR}
   savpath=${AR_LOG_DIR}/save15
   # Make sure log files are readable by everyone with access to server
   cd $ARCONFIGDIR/db
   chmod a+r *.log
   cd $logpath
   chmod a+r *.l*
   #
    [ -r arsql.log ]    && cp arsql.log    ${savpath}/arsql_${cur}.log ;
    [ -r arfilter.log ] && cp arfilter.log ${savpath}/arfilter_${cur}.log ;
    [ -r arapi.log ]    && cp arapi.log    ${savpath}/arapi_${cur}.log ;
   #
   cd ${savpath}
   #
   rm -f *${cur}.log.gz > /dev/null
   gzip *${cur}.log
   #
   exit 0

Basically it works like this:
   Check for the environment variable ARCONFIGDIR.  If it is not there set up
the base environment variables for use.
   Set a variable for the hour and minute.  All saved files will be in the
format of  file_HHMM.log
   Set the location of the existing files and where to save them
   Make sure log files are readable by everyone with access to server
   If the file exists copy it
   Remove yesterday's file(s)
   Compress todays new files

Fred