From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Stroud, Natalie K
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 4:09 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: functional role question

**
I don’t know who sabrown is but kudos to him or her for this neat little
utility.  I created an Access db with this info, but I didn’t have time to make
it really slick, so I end up having to page through ALL the functional roles
and permissions until I find the one I need.  (Luckily I generally at least
know whether what I need is permission or functional role!)

This is cool because you punch in what behavior you need and it tells you what
permission or functional role gives that. However, one potential ‘gotcha’ I see
with this is when a functional role or permission provides multiple app
behaviors and you’re okay with users getting one behavior but not the other –
if I pick Add or Remove Support Staff from Support Groups, for instance, I
don’t see something cueing me that Support Group Admin also gives Access to
Modify Incident Templates. At least with permissions, I think ITSM lets you see
everything the permission lets a user do at the time you go to add it, but I
don’t remember offhand whether it shows the equivalent info with functional
roles.

In the end, it still boils down to the need to really know both the permissions
and the functional roles. – what they do and how willing you are to take on the
headaches associated with whatever problems your users create for themselves
using their shiny new privileges!

Natalie Stroud
SAIC @ Sandia National Laboratories
ARS-ITSM Tester
Albuquerque, NM USA
nkst...@sandia.gov<mailto:nkst...@sandia.gov>
ITSM 7.6.04 SP2 – Windows 2008 – SQL Server 2008