Yes LJ, a date field doesn't worry about timezones so would solve Rick's
problem for sure.

The main issue I had with it is that the control is not as user friendly as
a date only datetime control. The need to be able to specify BC is not
normally useful and having to type in or use a drop down rather than a
calendar control is also not ideal.

For me I added about 12 hours to everyone's "date only" input before doing
the DATE translation just so that everyone in Australia and surrounding
areas was on the same day.  I guess it works for us but if you need to
support people across a more than 12 hour spread of timezones you would
want something more robust.

Rod