From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Ersland, Rhonda
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 11:55 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Overlays and Original Forms (Easy Question)

**
In the BMC Remedy Action Request System 7.6.04: Form and Application Objects
Guide, page 122, there is a section stating:

“Overlays do not perform the following functions:”
“Automatically merge customizations with functionality added during upgrades.
For example, if a filter has three new actions in an upgraded application,
those actions will not automatically be added to the filter’s existing overlay.
Instead, you must identify the new actions by comparing the overlay to the
upgraded origin object and then add them to the overlay if you decide to use
them.”

It is not clear if that same logic pertains to new fields added to a BMC
developed form.  I do know that the Best Practice Conversion Utility (BPCU) is
the solution to identifying differences between existing and upgraded objects,
and this utility is used to convert changes into overlays and custom objects.

I hope this helps.
Rhonda