Hi,

I have some not-so-good experience with hierarchical groups, and we are
working on 7.6.04 SP2/3.

A couple of things has happened:
1. The inheritance seems to become corrupt at times
2. The arreload utility clears instead of fixes the relationships
3. When exporting/importing definitions between servers, we have experiencing
that permissions gets duplicated, and the relationships are changed from
something defined in the group-form to hard-coded values on the actual fields.
For example when you open field-permissions in dev-studio, you will see a
single group 10 times...

The customer has not taken the time to report this last thing to BMC, as we
have been able to fix it by editing def-files more or less manually.

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11/12):

> Hierarchical groups were added in 7.6.03 of AR System.
> They are fully functional and provide the capability to any application who
configured themselves to use the functionality.
> NOTE HOWEVER that the ITSM solution has not added support for hierarchical
groups
> to the solution at this time (it is not in 8.1).
> A custom form can take advantage of the functionality.  We have had some
customers
> customize ITSM to add the functionality (it works just fine as AR System
supports
> it fully once the application adds the necessary definitions).
> So, it is an AR System capability but not exposed through ITSM so if you are
looking only at ITSM as an interaction, you may not have seen this feature.
Doug Mueller
but when did hierarchical groups come to the playground (what version) and
how
> do you define them.  Sounds like something that folks needed back in ITSM
5.5.
These
> are in a different read-only field on the User form that is updated for you
by
> the
> system to show which ones you matched.
> Then, there is the hierarchical group feature which if used means that you
being
> explicitly assigned to one group may also grant you permissions to other
> groups
> which are below you in the hierarchy.
> Next, there is the Public group which of course grants you some permissions
but as
> everyone is in this group, you can assume this group.
> At you know what groups you are a member of.
> Of course, you dynamically become a member of the Submitter and Assignee
> groups
> based on your login ID being in the corresponding fields on per record basis
> as
> well.
> OK, this finally gives you the list of all groups of which you have access.
So, depending on what the purpose of getting this list is, remember, there
are
> all
> kinds of issues with getting the group list -- is it the explicit group list
or the
> expanded group lists that tell you what you additionally have access to.
Then, if you are using this to determine access, you need to consider both
the
> direct group assignment of permissions and the row level security permission
assignment and then the presence of any group in your expanded group lists
being in
> data fields....  But, that is a discussion for a different day.
> I hope this helps,
> Doug Mueller
Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:58 AM