Hi Folks,

Recently, my DBAs migrated my Remedy Oracle DB to new hardware. This
activity necessitated an extended outage for my users. Typically, when my
system will be unavailable for an extended period, I install temporary
replacements for some HTML and JSP pages so that I can display information
about the outage and point to status pages, etc.

For my Mid-tier users, I usually replace the index.html file in the
Tomcat "webapps/ROOT/"
directory and I also replace the "webapps/arsys/shared/login.jsp" page with
a redirect to an information page. This all works well.

My question is about the Mid-tier servers that we have designated as part
of a pool of servers dedicated to responding to web service requests. Since
there may or may not be a person sitting in front of a browser for these
servers, I'm looking for suggestions on the best wat to "out-of-service"
the web service Tomcat servers. The web services might be called by a PHP
web page or they might be called by an automated process using a Perl or
PHP script. I want to fail in such a way that the user (person or script)
knows that it failed and also provide useful information about why it
failed. Any suggestions?

ARS: 7.6.04 SP3 201201302357
Oracle: 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit
Mid-Tier: 7.6.04_SP3_201208101612_Hotfix
Tomcat: 6.0.35
JAVA: 1.7.0_05

Thanks.
Larry