I would strongly encourage you to go with 8.1 for the AR System.

The 7.6.04 Windows client is fully compatible with and runs with full
functionality
and capability against the 8.1 server and we have many customers who use this
combination for environments or situations where there is still some use of the
Windows native client.  And, I see there have been several responses to the list
of customers with this combination with no issues.

For any development, you would want to move to the 8.1 version of Dev Studio.
You
do need to remember that any client side feature that was added since 7.6.04
will
not be available to the Windows client.

As noted by another list member, all 8.1 server side features will be fully
available.

Now, I would also set up the 8.1 mid-tier and validate that your application
runs without issue there.  You can have that up and available for anyone who
wants to come in that route.  You do not have to force it, people can use the
WUT if they desire, but as people find that they can move around to different
machines and have full access to things on the Web and the app in its full
capability is available there, transition does start to happen.

And, if you do add to the functionality using things that take advantage of 8.x
features, they will work just fine in the mid-tier (although not in WUT) and you
can continue moving your application forward as another draw to the web
delivery.

The system does allow you to take things in stages and to have gradual
transitions
from where you are to where you want to be in the future.

The upgrade should be nice and simple and transparent (of course try in dev
first
and in a test environment second to make sure that there are no problems -- with
backups to protect from failure.  this is all of course just good practice).
The
AR System upgrades are generally clean and easy -- OK, an occasional issue in
the
past if you have customized a system form but even that is better in the newer
releases.

Happy journey as you move forward with your solution,

Doug Mueller