Confio Ignite does wonders.  It does the basics like recommending indexes
where needed, but it also provides configuration advice and tracks down
environment specific issues.

There's a free trial and it getting it going is pretty quick and easy.

It's good to do some simultaneous SQL Logging if you are trying to track
down a particular user that's causing problems with bad queries, crazy
reports, or whatnot.

The purchase price is reasonable if I remember correctly, but you can
really get a ton of good information out of the free trial.

They also have a free real-time monitor that lets you see when problem
queries and bottlenecks are hitting the db.

It's one of the best tools for tracking down performance issues that I've
seen.

http://www.confio.com/

and

http://www.ignitefree.com/