If I remember correctly you couldn't work with indexes in Best Practice
mode until 8.0, maybe 8.1. That and deployable apps are the two major
limitations that I seem to to remember from the initial release of Overlays.

Jason
**
Raj,
You should not be in base development mode ever (for the most part)....and
no, you won't see an index created in overlay in base, because the only
things you see in base are things that were there when BMC shipped
them...and it wasn't there, so you won't see it :)