Can I just uninstall the application from the Control Panel to remove it?

I am trying to do my SP4 patch install (again) and it keeps telling me that it
shows another instance of the application, well... DUH!  It was installed and
this is a patch.

I have done a WebEx with BMC support 2 or 3 times and I am getting so
frustrated.  (I haven't even tackled the Test server again)

BMC said - restore the DB from a previous back up.  We didn't know we had a
problem with this app for quite a while so we don't have a backup that goes
back to 7/23.  I happen to have one from Feb, but that is too old!

The other problem with this is that I am doing all the patching on Dev and Test
as a prerequisite to installing the patches on Production.  I can't have all
these

If I uninstall it and then try to use the patch install, the installer will
find pieces of it in the DB.

Has anyone else run into this?  How did you handle it?

ITSM 7.6.04 SP2
ARS 7.6.04 SP3
Oracle 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
Win 2008 Server