Good grief.  That was it.  I had a \u in my Plugin-Log-File:  name.  The
only other \u I have in ar.cfg is for AREA:
AREA-LDAP-User-Filter: cn=$\USER$

Which doesn't seem to be causing a problem.  I'm guessing because the U is
capitalized.

I'd say that was the mother of all red herrings.  :-)

Thanks for the help,
Thad