Dale,
arcache was updated a few versions ago to be able to only be run from the
server, it no longer offers an option for what host to connect to...so it
has to be run locally, which greatly increases it's security....and as you
mentioned, if you have that config option set...you can't even do it
locally without updating parameters :)