What are the advantages and disadvantages of one over the other? I am asking
about any generic system in general and not particularly the AR System, when
used On Premise vs SaaS.. which is why I prefixed the subject of this email
as "Slightly OT"..

I'd like to know about the hidden advantages and disadvantages that are not
so apparent other than the obvious.

The obvious advantages and disadvantages of SaaS I would percept are:

Advantages:

1)       No onsite administration - lowers cost of ownership

2)       You are almost always up to date on versions etc.

3)       You do not risk downtime when a system is upgraded,  or during
system maintenance, or bug fixes. The vendor usually has a faster planned
route to rollback.

Disadvantages:

1)       No onsite administration - reduces flexibility in some areas of
customization.

2)       Your data resides off premise so it poses some kind of security
risk

3)       You are vendor/manufacturer dependant - the manufacturer goes out
of business, so would your solution.

And the obvious advantages and disadvantages of an on premise solution I
would percept are:

Advantages:

1)       Onsite administration - You could do what you want, when you want,
how you want to the system as you please with no rules whatsoever apart from
system limitations

2)       You can choose when to update if at all or stay on whatever version
works for you as long as you wish to. Lowers user training costs to a
certain extent.

3)       Your data is as secure as you want it to be.

4)       Your solution life lasts beyond the manufacturers - if they go out
of business, you can continue to run their solutions for a while until you
have a better solution.

Disadvantages:

1)       Onsite administration - You usually face higher maintenance and
running costs.

2)       You risk downtime during maintenance or upgrades or bug fixes even
with a good rollback strategy.

Any other advantages and disadvantages to the two strategies that I may have
not listed here?

Joe