Hi Susan,
Please check the view overlay is already there and the field is added in
view overlay before trying to create field overlay of the table.
Maybe that will help.
Regarding the changes not getting relected because system by default picks
up the Overlay object and not the original and you need to reconcile
manually for any changes you made to field.
Regards,
Shambo.