Robin,

If your user base is web-only (I didn't catch your environment/version),
and if the whole row didn't have to be colored, you could color just the
Priority column by using a display only, HTML field in place of the actual
Priority field.  You'd then set it with the appropriate html tag and text,
something like:  <font color=”$UserPref-Medium$”>Medium</font> .  If you
really wanted to let them go wild with colors, let them specify their color
preference with the hex code (#FF0000) instead of a limited set of colors.
 You'd still need a preference form, and a table walk to set the individual
rows, with all of the associated caveats.

Or, similarly, you could have the column be an image of a colored circle,
and they could choose the color.

Anyway, just some alternative thoughts.
Thad