Ok, we had a similar situation with our desktop support people. Here is what
we did.

We created separate desktop groups for each location (in your case for each
specific app). So for example: Desktop-Orlando, Desktop-Charlotte, etc. In
your case it might look like Support-App1, Support-App2, etc.

Each of these specific groups only contained the people in that specific
location. In your case, they would only contain the people specifically
responsible for that application.

We then created a "master" group. Call it Desktop-Master. In your case it
might be Application-Master.

We added all members to the Master group.

We added the overall manager to ALL groups as an associate member and marked
them unavailable for assignment. We did this so that the manager could go in
to any group at any time and reassign the ticket from a specific group to
the master group for just the reasons you indicate. In case the specific
group members were unavailable for whatever reason.

This reduced the overall number of notifications, gave us some specific data
for reporting and still allowed for maximum coverage as needed.

We also built our assignment rules so that the specific groups were
auto-assigned tickets based on location (in your case by specific app) and
made sure they appeared as the first pick in the list if somebody clicked
the Auto-Assign link.

We then configured the assignment rules so that the master group acted as an
auto-assignment "catch all" group and made sure they appeared 2nd in the
list if somebody clicked the Auto-Assign link, thus establishing a manual
assignment hierarchy.

HTH,

Tim