Within 8.x, BMC has deprecated old AR Approval Process by reducing the approval
process from 16 to just 4.  See link below:

https://communities.bmc.com/community/bmcdn/bmc_it_service_support/change_process_management/blog/2014/01/23/change-approval-processes-consolidation-in-itsm-cm-8x

The OOB change approval processes are now evaluating both CIs and Impacted
Areas for change approvals.  We are working on improving our overall Change
process maturing and have started adding companies on changes within the
impacted areas and associating all CIs that are affected by the specific
change.  Our process for our technicians is to relate the CIs that are impacted
by your change and then use the Impact Analysis functionality to relate any
other CIs that are also affected.  This can result in thousands of CIs being
related to the change ticket.

This is where the problem begins.... :)

When moving the change ticket through the approval process, the approval engine
then has to sift through
CHG:Change-ImpactedAreasCIAssociation_outer_ApproverLookup to evaluate every
single CI and Impacted area to determine whether there is an approval mapping
to tied to them.  We have had many instances where this evaluating has been
still occurring after 12hrs+ which we have had to delete in the app pending
form because other records were queued up behind it.  We have a ticket opened
with BMC, but they haven't been helpful other than saying you shouldn't have
more than 1,000 CIs associated to a change ticket. (really???)  Are there any
improvements that can be made to improve the performance of the approval server
that we haven't done already?  (see setup below)

Below is current setup:
-5 Sun Solaris App Servers (2 dedicated for Server Group processes (8 CPU 16GB
RAM each), 3 User Facing (4CPU 16GBRAM each))
-Dedicated RPC port 390680 (Min=6 Max=8) and thread logs show it stays around
7.
-RPC Loopback plugin configured on 390626 (Min=4 Max=12) and thread logs shows
it says around 4-5.
-Definition Check Interval = 300
-Thread Count = 4
-Fast Threads Min=12 Max=40
-List Threads Min=12 Max=40

I know we can modify the AP:Process to look at other forms instead of the
CHG:Change-ImpactedAreasCIAssociation_outer_ApproverLookup or re-enable the
deprecated processes, but then if we have any issues in the future, BMC will
point out that we are following the OOB processes so I'm trying to utilize the
OOB processes before I take that route.  Are there any other folks out there
that are using the OOB approval processes in 8.x and relating thousands of CIs
without issues?