Hi Howard (long time no see!) -

We've never been able to make this work.  With 4000+ users, and typically 1,000
of them on at any time this has always been an issue.

Typically the first install we have to have all of the servers down and we do
the install on the admin server of our server group.  Then we take that one
down and repeat the process - you're probably familiar with it.

For a while the thinking was we could re-direct the load balancer to only the
servers that were up, but we just ran into too many issues, like....

*         Load balancer re-programming on the fly in production is tricky
business

*         Some patches blew up if ANY of the AR servers were running when they
were installed, even on secondary servers

*         Users really didn't like the idea of "are we up or not?"

At the end of the day we end up doing this stuff on the weekend during the low
volume times, and breaking it up into manageable sized chunks when we can.

I will say this too - we did come up with a few non-BMC sanctioned idea of how
to do this.  For example, using unix shell scripts it is now possible for me to
take a server,
install all the upgrades, etc.   Then copy all the files to another server, run
a shell script, and be 99% of the way to being done.

The shell script renames every instance of server name "A" to server name "B".
Then there's some manual cleanup to be done.  But it does cut down the install
time SUBSTANTIALLY.  Unfortunately we are not allowed to use this method in
most instances, even though it is (IMHO) more reliable AND gives you
consistency between installs across servers.  We've all had that day where
we're installing the third server or whatever and the DBA's decide that's a
GREAT time for them to pull the plug.

That scripting option won't work if you're on windows obviously...