Doug,

You should not need any middleware to do this.

It's not clear if this is what you're trying, but I'd recommend creating a
MS SQL view that pulls the data from the remote DB.

One advantage is that if you can successfully query the SQL view in (say)
SQL Server Management Studio query window (using the Remedy account), then
the ARS server will have no problem querying it either and should be
blissfully unaware that the data is coming from a remote source.  I.e., if
there are any problems with the connection, they'll show up when you try to
directly SELECT from the SQL view.

Another advantage is that it isolates ARS from any changes you may make to
this data source.  E.g., should you decided to pull the remote data into a
local table, you'd just need to reconfigure the SQL view to "point to" the
local data, and you would not need to change the Remedy view at all.

Hope this helps.

-charlie