I’ve created instanceid’s for new CI’s many times in the past for the very
reason you need them and it works just fine.

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Andrew Hicox
Sent: 01 April 2015 14:35
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Setting 'InstanceId' on AST:* submit?

**

Hi everyone,

I have a situatuon where some home grown workflow needs to create CI's.

I'm doing this by pushing fields directly to the AST:* form corresponding to
the Class we want to create the CI in, and up to that point it works flawlwssly.

However, I need to pull the 'InstanceId' of the CI I just created back into the
form where the workflow fired the push fields (so I can set up relationships,
etc).

Doing this reliably has become more of a headache than I'd imagined. There are
almost no uniqueness restraints in cmdb (sort of a corollary to Igor's thread
about unique indexes).

So there's almost nothing I can search by other than 'InstanceId', that's
guaranteed to get 1 or 0 results.
so here's my question. What if I generate my own GUID and push it into
'InstanceId' on the AST:* form?

Does anyone know of this will break something in asset or cmdb? On the surface,
this seems like a legitimate thing to do, but just wondering if anyone has been
down this road before?

-Andy