Yes agreed, much of the documentation leaves me breathless for lack of
instructions - LOL.  Given what you are up against, here  is what I would
attempt to do at this point.  Take all your support group data and put it
in a staging form along with some identifier that can match against your
primary spreadsheet data.  Set up a filter that will fire on Merge that
will try to set those fields as  you run the import from the datasheet
again where some 'identifier' matches some unique data in your
spreadsheet.  I have also found in the past that UDM does not process some
specific cells if they are not formatted correctly, but if that was the
case I'd expect that you would see some errors to that effect.  Also take a
look at what if anything your previous modifications may have done to
pre-existing filters just in case something got stepped on.

Candace