Please setup new environment , install present version products and then import
 DB from PRODUCTION.

After that, I will recommend you to use config checker which is packaged with
AR Installer zip file.  The tool has ability to find most of configuration and
unique ID violation issues due to which remedy upgrades can fail.  It will save
your efforts.

Note :   no need to revert DB if upgrade fails. We can fix the issue and re-run
installer….You can prepare a document with all issues you encounter during the
process.

Additional documentation :

1] https://kb.bmc.com/infocenter/index?page=content&id=KA400850
>> this KB mentions all important links and documents related to pre and post
>> 8.1 upgrade.
>> Refer cook book attached to KB for solutions on upgrade issues.

2] You may find msm  arx failures.  We can fix them after upgrade.

3] asi_MSM_MigrationTasks_cfg.arx during ITSM upgrade  import may  take long
time if  data > 200.  This increases upgrade time .. if you have multiple
environments  then we can share the workaround to save 10 hrs. We skip those
2-3 arx imports and  execute a direct SQL command to update required data.

Thanks,
  Vivek