Tumbu Astiani Ramelan: Batik without borders
*Dian Kuswandini, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Mon, 05/17/2010 8:46 AM |
People *
*A* <javascript:increaseFontSize();>* | **A* <javascript:normalFontSize();>*|
**A* <javascript:decreaseFontSize();>* | *

**

*Batik aficionado Tumbu Astiani Ramelan used to take batik for granted, she
said. *

*[image: JP/Dian Kuswandini]**JP/Dian Kuswandini*

*“I saw batik every day. I used it all the time — but I never really paid
any attention to it,” recalls the 70-year-old.*

*Her wedding day in 1969, however, changed her perception of batik forever.
Among her wedding gifts, some beautiful batik cloths captivated her. *

*“I can still remember how I held my breath, mesmerized by the beautiful
batik cloths laid in front of me,” says Tumbu, wife of former trade and
industry minister Rahardi Ramelan. That was the moment, she says, when her
eyes and heart opened to “beautiful and diverse batik cloths”.*

*Since then, Tumbu, now head of Indonesia’s Batik Foundation for Cultural
Development, began paying close attention to batik and collecting the
textile from across Indonesia. *

*“It became an addiction,” says Tumbu, who now has around 1,000 batik
cloths. “Whenever I saw a beautiful batik cloth, I would think so much about
it that I wouldn’t sleep.”*

*But admiration was just the beginning. Tumbu, who then studied batik,
became so attached to it that her admiration turned into deep respect. *

*“After I learned how to make batik, I realized that it took more than just
skill to make one piece of batik cloth — it requires patience, diligence,
emotional attachment and high creativity,” says Tumbu, who studied medicine
in Russia and specialized in anesthesiology in Germany. *

*“I don’t call myself a collector [anymore], but more a batik devotee and
observer.” *

*Tumbu can call herself anything she wants, but her unique views in issues
concerning batik has been said to set her apart from other collectors or
devotees. While others were busy accusing neighboring country Malaysia of
claiming batik theirs, for example, Tumbu remained calm — and some would say
wise. *

*“People became so angry over this issue without knowing the facts,” she
said. “Malaysia has never registered a patent on batik, but only on a
certain batik coloring technique.*

*“We shouldn’t make this an issue in the first place. Everybody knows that
batik has been part of Indonesian cultures for years – no one can deny
that.” *

*Although even though the feud was thought a blessing in disguise as it
revived batik’s popularity among Indonesians, Tumbu underlines that the
issue of batik’s origin shouldn’t be something to debate about.
“I don’t agree with forcing the world to admit that batik originated in
Indonesia,” she says, adding, “No country can prove it was the birthplace of
batik.”*

*So, what we should do, Tumbu said, was adopt a different way of thinking:
“We ought to ensure the world remember Indonesia first when they talk about
batik, simply because we create the finest.*

*“What we want is acknowledgment that batik is identical with Indonesia.”*

*With this smart response, Tumba continues to display her knowledge about
batik. She says that batik is complex. *

*“When you try to understand batik, you don’t use a single pair glasses,”
she says. “If you try to interpret certain batik motifs, you can’t use your
judgment only because batik holds multiple meanings.”*

*Tumbu’s deep understanding of batik isn’t the only thing that distinguishes
her from batik enthusiasts. *

*Her passion to preserve batik, especially old batik cloths that have become
rare today, has also made her a high profile in the batik society. Tumbu
began to see collecting batik as one way to “save” batik from foreign
collectors.*

*“I met so many foreign batik collectors, and it’s a bit frightening to
think they have been taking our old, valuable batik cloths out of the
country,” she says. “If all the best ones were taken abroad, then one day
Indonesians would have to travel to countries such as Japan, the US and
Germany if we want to see them.”*

*With this in mind, she became serious about collecting batik for the coming
generations. Not only that, recently she launched her bilingual
Indonesian-English book, The 20th Century Batik Masterpieces, as an effort
to document her rare collection for the future. *

*The book, she says, is also the answer to her long desire to “share” her
collection. *

*“After collecting batik for 40 years, I asked myself, ‘is there any other
advantage to my collection than achieving some sense of self-pleasure and
satisfaction?’” Tumbu says. *

*Lucky for her, the answer came when a young batik maker and designer,
Komar, asked her permission to document her collection. This inspired her to
document her own collections.*

*“When I found that many other batik makers were requesting the same thing,
I thought about publishing a book on my collection so that more people could
enjoy them,” Tumbu says. *

*With support from her husband who often accompanies her wherever she goes,
Tumbu keeps herself busy with her Indonesian Batik Foundation, promoting and
preserving batik. As she’s getting older, Tumbu hopes that her two children
will continue her effort to preserve batik. *

*“I don’t know what I will do with my collection, but one thing certain is
that I want my batik cloths to stay in Indonesia.*

* “My biggest dream is that the government builds a batik museum where batik
cloths from across the archipelago are kept.*

*“It’s silly, really, that Indonesia has not created a public batik museum.”
*

* *

Kirim email ke