Peter & Tim,

>> what I use for current script using dna for the blast is:
>> seqret -auto -filter -osf fasta $sequence_1 > Seq1_fasta
>> seqret -auto -filter -osf fasta $sequence_2 > Seq2_fasta
>> formatdb -i Seq1_fasta -p f
> blastall -d Seq1_fasta -i Seq2_fasta -p tblastx -m 8 -o $outputfile

Instead of using 'formatdb' and 'blastall' just to BLAST one sequence against another, I recommend using 'bl2seq' instead - it's a lesser known command which is part of the standard BLAST suite. This removes the need for writing (temporary) database files:

seqret -auto -filter -osf fasta $sequence_1 > Seq1_fasta
seqret -auto -filter -osf fasta $sequence_2 > Seq2_fasta
bl2seq -i Seq1_fasta -j Seq2_fasta -p tblastx -D 1

The only confusing part is that 'bl2seq' uses the "-m" parameter for something else, so you need to use "-D 1" to do what "-m 8" usually does. Most of the other parameters (eg. "-e") are the same.

--
Dr Torsten Seemann               http://www.vicbioinformatics.com
Victorian Bioinformatics Consortium, Monash University, Australia