On 08/13/2014 03:03 PM, Britton, Joe wrote:
> Daniel, Justin, Brian, John G and I chatted over lunch about this. We
> agree that an implementation of the sort described in the attached
> whiteboard screenshot strikes a good balance between protecting users
> from doing something stupid and letting people do things quick and
> dirty when they want. Note that each driver would have a coercion
> function for the variety of continuous parameters relevant to it eg
> frequency, phase, time, voltage, current.

Hmm. That whiteboard scribble is "wreckless".

Since every physical quantity in an experiment needs to be coerced
anyway for obvious reasons, this can generally be done implicitly and as
smart as possible. With explicit, "dumb-and-early" coercion required per
default you are just hiding errors in a lot of meaningless and
unreadable code, not preventing them.

Also that excerpt misses the point of the underlying question, which is
when to best convert floating point physical quantities to integer
device units.

Robert.