agreed. Here's hoping it'll be OVER tomorrow night! (either
way...somebody PLEASE get 50%!)

Tony,

there is a site http://www.tinyurl.com which allows you to make
short URLs from long ones. Your Yahoo link is shortened to
http://tinyurl.com/4cuhb

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Tyler, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Once again I hope we all stop and refelct on how amazing this list
is.  This
> discussion is some of the best I have heard in the entire
campaign.

Friday

> france is officially challenging the Duelfer report. pretty
adamantly
> too..here is a link concerning that..while it is clear that the
oil
> for food program is clearly corrupt, the duelfer report may be
> erroneous. but in my opinion it doesnt matter if its 8% or 80%,
its
> another example of human nature and money..it is also not just the
> germans and the french (funny how 'old europe' is so prominently
> fingered)..the Al-Mada (Iraqi news)report that sparked this
> investigation listed 270 persons from more than 46 countries
involved
> in this scandal..the UN has consistently had shady dealings,
> including distributing corrupted health vaccines that in effect
> sterilized women in thrid world countries..not once , not twice,
but
> three times that they were actually reprimamded for..anyway, thats
> whole other mess..
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/news?
tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041025/ap_on_re_eu/france_oil_for_food_investigati
on_2

> sorry for the long links..i am unsure how to format long links to
> correctly appear in final post. any help on this would be
> appreciated..
>
> as for the lost battles issue, it is always hard with situations
like
> those in iraq to define a win or a loss..here is a opinion piece
from
> Sidney Blumenthal that was posted on salon.com (i have pasted the
> piece, as you need to go through some sign up, etc to view it on
> salon) that addresses the general notion of victory vs. defeat in
> iraq. within he quotes a few retired high level military personnel.

> Iraq "War is Lost"
>
> The "war is lost"
>
> Military experts say they see no exit from the Iraq debacle -- and
> that the war is helping al-Qaida.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - -
> By Sidney Blumenthal
>

> Sept. 16, 2004 | "Bring them on!" President Bush challenged the
early
> Iraqi insurgency in July of last year. Since then 812 American
> soldiers have been killed and 6,290 wounded, according to the
> Pentagon. Almost every day in campaign speeches, Bush speaks with
> bravado about how we are "winning" in Iraq. "Our strategy is
> succeeding," he boasted to the National Guard convention on
Tuesday.

> But according to the U.S. military's leading strategists and
> prominent retired generals, Bush's war is already lost.
>
> Retired Gen. William Odom, former head of the National Security
> Agency, told me: "Bush hasn't found the WMD. Al-Qaida, it's worse -
-
> he's lost on that front. That he's going to achieve a democracy
> there? That goal is lost, too. It's lost." He added: "Right now,
the
> course we're on, we're achieving [Osama] bin Laden's ends."
>
> Retired Gen. Joseph Hoare the former Marine commander and head of
the
> U.S. Central Command, told me: "The idea that this is going to go
the
> way these guys planned is ludicrous. There are no good options.
We're
> conducting a campaign as though it were being conducted in Iowa,
no
> sense of the realities on the ground. It's so unrealistic for
anyone
> who knows that part of the world. The priorities are just all
wrong."

> "I see no ray of light on the horizon at all," said Jeffrey
Record,
> professor of strategy at the Air War College. "The worst case has
> become true. There's no analogy whatsoever between the situation
in
> Iraq and the advantages we had after World War II in Germany and
> Japan."
>
> "I don't think that you can kill the insurgency," said W. Andrew
> Terrill, professor at the Army War College's Strategic Studies
> Institute, the top expert on Iraq there. According to Terrill, the
> anti-U.S. insurgency, centered in the Sunni triangle, and holding
> several key cities and towns, including Fallujah, is expanding and
> becoming more capable as a direct consequence of U.S. policy. "We
> have a growing, maturing insurgency group," he told me. "We see
> larger and more coordinated military attacks. They are getting
better
> and they can self-regenerate. The idea there are X number of
> insurgents and when they're all dead we can get out is wrong. The
> insurgency has shown an ability to regenerate itself because there
> are people willing to fill the ranks of those who are killed. The
> political culture is more hostile to the U.S. presence. The longer
we
> stay, the more they are confirmed in that view."
>
> After the killing of four U.S. contractors in Fallujah, the U.S.
> Marines besieged the city for three weeks in April -- the
watershed
> event for the insurgency. "I think the president ordered the
attack
> on Fallujah," said Gen. Hoare. "I asked a three-star Marine
general
> who gave the order to go to Fallujah and he wouldn't tell me. I
came
> to the conclusion that the order came directly from the White
House."
> Then, just as suddenly, the order was rescinded, and Islamist
> radicals gained control, using the city as a base, al-Qaida
("base"
> in Arabic) indeed.
>
> "If you are a Muslim and the community is under occupation by a
non-
> Islamic power, it becomes a religious requirement to resist that
> occupation," Terrill explained. "Most Iraqis consider us
occupiers,
> not liberators." He describes the religious imagery common now in
> Fallujah and the Sunni triangle: "There's talk of angels and the
> prophet Mohammed coming down from heaven to lead the fighting,
talk
> of martyrs whose bodies are glowing and emanating wonderful
scents."

> "I see no exit," said Record. "We've been down that road before.
It's
> called Vietnamization. The idea we're going to have an Iraqi force
> trained to defeat an enemy we can't defeat stretches the
imagination.
> They will be tainted by their very association with the foreign
> occupier. In fact, we had more time and money in state building in
> Vietnam than in Iraq."
>
> "This is far graver than Vietnam," said Gen. Odom. "There wasn't
as
> much at stake strategically, though in both cases we mindlessly
went
> ahead with a war that was not constructive for U.S. aims. But now
> we're in a region far more volatile and we're in much worse shape
> with our allies."
>
> Terrill believes that any sustained U.S. military offensive
against
> the no-go areas of the Sunni triangle "could become so
controversial
> that members of the Iraqi government would feel compelled to
resign."
> Thus an attempted military solution would destroy the slightest
> remaining political legitimacy. "If we leave and there's no civil
> war, that's a victory."
>
> Gen. Hoare believes from the information he has received that "a
> decision has been made" to attack Fallujah "after the first
Tuesday
> in November. That's the cynical part of it -- after the election.
The
> signs are all there." He compares any such planned attack with
late
> Syrian dictator Hafez al-Assad's razing of the rebel city of
> Hama. "You could flatten it," said Hoare. "U.S. military forces
would
> prevail, casualties would be high, there would be inconclusive
> results with respect to the bad guys, their leadership would
escape,
> and civilians would be caught in the middle. I hate that
> phrase 'collateral damage.' And they talked about dancing in the
> street, a beacon for democracy."
>
> Gen. Odom remarked that the tension between the Bush
administration
> and senior military officers over Iraq is worse than any he has
ever
> seen with any previous U.S. government, including during
> Vietnam. "I've never seen it so bad between the Office of the
> Secretary of Defense and the military. There's a significant
majority
> believing this is a disaster. The two parties whose interests have
> been advanced have been the Iranians and al-Qaida. Bin Laden could
> argue with some cogency that our going into Iraq was the
equivalent

http://www.salon.com/opinion/blumenthal/2004/09/16/iraq_war/index.htm

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "jerseyjohn99"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > From the Duelfer Report (the same report which said Saddam did
NOT