This stuff is made for television.  Did anyone VIDEO TAPE the meeting for those of us who could not be there, but would have Loved the opportunity to once again see our officials hard at work for the other guys.

Come on guys, give us a hand, wip out those cameras, Please!  Asbury has Independent Media outlets on the Web, Radio and TV, through [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], and MSPTV77, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please let's use them often and wisely.  "Here's looking at you, kid!"

Shangazi

SkipDragon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

How does  Melina rate representing 50% of citizens invited to attend
this meeting?

I thought she'd retired, presumably to lighten her work load; now it
appears the truth to be that she can work wholeheartedly for our
various developers.

Skip Bernstein

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What the newspaper printed is ONLY PART Of THE  STORY. No reporter was
> present at the council meeting on Friday, Jan. 28,2005 @  9:00 am.
ONLY IN ASBURY
> PARK, would the reporter only interview  one or two people with the
same views
> on a hot topic. Tax dollars, land use, and  housing people by the
railroad
> tracks.

> The lawyer and planner was busy selling the council........
basically there
> was one use for that land.............that is warehouse people. The
land has
> no  other commercial valve for any other use. Sell the land with no
bids. No
> two  sides to this story. Sounded like snake oil salesmen spending
your tax
> dollars.

> Councilman Ed Johnson asked so many good questions, only to be
answered by
> the lawyer, the planner, the city manager, the mayor all who seem to
be in love
>  with the plan. Still ,Ed .............kept asking
questions............and
> the 4 kept defending the project. You could see Kate Melina and
Hazel Samuel
> fidgeting as Ed just keeps asking questions.

> Councilman John Hamilton asked lots of questions, and had a
different  style.
> His comments and questions, as good as they where, usually caused
emotional
audience, as
> if the mayor could  hold his own against John. Once  again.....you
had to be
> there.

> Deputy Mayor Jim Bruno had his share of questions and
concerns.......all
> rebuffed.

> Councilman John Loffredo did not say a word, just listen.

> The city manager gave his full support for this project.

> You have to make time to see what happens at the council meetings.
Seeing is
> believing.

> *****************************
>                                Published in the Asbury Park Press
01/29/05

>                                      Less-costly homes due in Asbury
Park

> Apartments, houses called for in new Springwood Ave. plan
> By NANCY SHIELDS
> COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU
> ASBURY  PARK -- The City Council introduced a plan Friday to allow
> construction of both  affordable and market-rate housing on
Springwood Avenue from
> Memorial Drive west  to Atkins
> Avenue.
>
> The ordinance would amend a 1970 plan for the  blighted area. A public
> hearing is scheduled for 6 p.m. Feb. 10.
>
> The  plan, if approved, will allow two developers to build 70 units
of rental
>  apartments between Memorial Drive and Sylvan Avenue, and at least 50
> single-family homes west of Sylvan Avenue. The city plans for
one-fifth of the
> planned market-rate homes to be designated as
> affordable for families with  limited incomes.
>
> "It's (affordable housing) definitely needed," Mayor  Kevin Sanders
said
> after the work session and vote. "There's been nothing but  dreams
sold to the
> people who live there -- it's been blighted for so long.  People
have died
> waiting for something to happen on Springwood Avenue. Now it's
going to happen."

> The public hearing is expected to draw some critics who  are against
more
> affordable rental units in the city. Others want more of the
ownership units to
> be affordable.
>
> Critics also say the site should be  used for much-needed recreation
or say
> the homes could overload  schools.
>
> Sanders said that the city will lose a significant number of
affordable
> rental units as a result of the current redevelopment. Rents are
also  rising, and
> multifamily homes are being converted to single-family  units.
>
> "We plan to have 4,000 market-rate units coming on throughout the
city," the
> mayor said. "What are we doing for affordable housing?"
>
> The  council plans to have Ingerman Affordable Housing Inc. of
Cherry Hill
> build the  70 affordable rental units and Somerset Development LLC
of Lakewood
> build the 50  market-rate homes, of which 10 would be priced as
affordable.

> In October,  the city and Long Branch millionaire Philip Konvitz
settled a
> lawsuit clearing  the way for Konvitz to sell 50 Springwood parcels
he had
> failed to develop for  14 years to the Somerset group
> No to retailing
> The city Planning Board, in reviewing the redevelopment plan, had
recommended
>  including commercial structures in the project area. But the
council said it
> did  not want to give up any of the housing units and plans to
permit new
> stores  further west on Springwood, between Atkins Avenue and the
Neptune  border.

> Former Mayor Carl Williams, now a commissioner on the Monmouth  County
> Recreation Board, said Friday the county was poised to build a park
area  on the
> same site planned for new housing and that the recreation area was
sorely  needed.

> Mayor Sanders suggested the county invest its money in the West  Side
> Community Center, which the mayor said needs funding to provide
year-round
> recreation for city children.
>
> Other critics said they were concerned  about the affordable homes
attracting
> families that could overburden the school  system. But city
officials said
> families are being forced out of their  affordable apartments
because of rising
> real estate values and the new  apartments are needed.
>
> "Everything else we're promoting is for home  ownership," the mayor
said.
> "These 70 units are the only ones for  renters

Ms Shangazi Presents:  Issues and answers
MSP TV 77
Real Life Documentaries on MSP TV 77
Watch MSP TV 77 on Cablevision Tue 9:30pm
Questions, Comments, Suggestions,
732-775-1912, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For a Small Fee, It's Practically FREE!

Do you Yahoo!?