Asbury Park City, New Jersey Statistics and Demographics (US Census
2000)
 Number Percent
Asbury Park Population: 16930 100.00%

Sex and Age
Male 7943 46.92%
Female 8987 53.08%

Under 5 years 1539 9.09%
5 to 9 years 1579 9.33%
10 to 14 years 1284 7.58%
15 to 19 years 1123 6.63%
20 to 24 years 1366 8.07%
25 to 34 years 2666 15.75%
35 to 44 years 2380 14.06%
45 to 54 years 1895 11.19%
55 to 59 years 626 3.7%
60 to 64 years 581 3.43%
65 to 74 years 904 5.34%
75 to 84 years 682 4.03%
85 years and over 305 1.8%

Median age (years) 30.6

18 years and over 11841 69.94%
Male 5376 31.75%
Female 6465 38.19%
21 years and over 11132 65.75%

Joe,

Since you seem to have a thing for exactitude, here's the 2000
census data for AP. Assume its the same, thus, almost 70% of the
16,930 are of voting age. Voter turnout by your numbers was 20.91%.
You got the numbers now you can discuss the issues Gerry and Skip
raised instead of splitting hairs with them. Turnout is terrible in
AP. Few care and people get elected by relatively a few voters yet
decide the fate of the entire city. Hopefully this year there will
be a drive to get the people who pay the bills in this city vote;
the TAXPAYERS.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Joe D'Andrea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 8:28 PM +0000 2/21/05, SkipDragon wrote:
> >Voter turnout is significantly lower in off-cycle municipal
elections
> >than in general elections.  Need we say more?  One of the
overriding
> >problems with Asbury is an appalling lack of citizen involvement;
> >which results in a sort of Russian roulette electoral contest, an
> >elected that owes its existence more to fate than process and the
sort
> >of secrecy and back room deal making that today's norm.  1700,
2500
> >who cares; it's too few for a city of 17,000.
>
> Aren't some of the 17,000 children?
>
> And can you please substantiate or clarify your statement that a
lack of citizen involvement (i.e., low voter turnout) leads to