--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Do you know for a fact that Rich is the owner?  I can't understand
why
> Fernicola brought the action if they didn't try for the approvals
> first.  Even if I felt I had a case without them I'd still try and
push
> the process forward.

I believe he is. This is somewhat different and similar to a lot of
situations I hae encountered with potential future condemnation. The
property owner is damned if he does and damned if he does not. Put
yourself in that situation: Your property, which you want to
redevelop or improve, is scheduled for condemnation. If it is not
needed immediately you are left to hang. If you move forward and
invest moneys to redevelop you might force the taking but there is
nothing to guarantee that you will get back your extra investment.
Some sit and wait and are never condemned and miss opportunities.
And say you move forward and redevelop and are still not taken but
are scheduled to do so. In the case of condos, who would buy knowing
about the condemnation? In the case of retail, what viable tenant
would rent and invest in substantial leasehold improvements knowing
that they might lose them and not be fully compensated? This is the
entire basis of condemnation blight that I have been yelling about
oer the past year. I have not seen a clearer picture of condemnation
blight since the 42nd Street Redevelopment. Like it or not, if you
want to push the issue, you have to move forward and apply for the
approvals. No one said justice is fair. It is absolutely crazy not
to let Rich redevelop the Jersey Apts condsidering the great job he
did with the Britwood. It is nothing but greed and ignorance that is
preventing him. If the aim was for betterment of AP, you can come to
no other conclusion but to let him do it. This council has its
collective head up where the sun doesn't shine on these issues. I'll
be Niagara Falls on trial all next week but have my fingers crossed
for Tuesday.