On 5/10/05 4:41 PM, "bluebishop82" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Then with your assumptions, please explain to me the decades of
> success of places that were never "tourist" attractions like Sea
> Girt, Allenhurst, Monmouth Beach, Avon, Brielle, Loch Arbor.  Why
> are they not failing as you assert Belmar is right now?

I believe you answered your own question.  The fact is that they never tried
to be tourist attractions.  They are largely family residential towns
although I wouldn't put Sea Girt in that list.

Asbury Park was known and is still known throughout the world for the beach
and for music.  It's a shame to throw all of that away simply because it may
be "difficult" to become a tourist attraction again.  When I was young, kids
went to Asbury Park and Long Branch and rarely went to Point Pleasant.  That
town now gets more tourist revenue than many towns could dream about.  I do
not see any reason why a town like Asbury Park couldn't regain its stature.

The difference is that I believe tourism can help solve many of Asbury
Park's economic problems.  Meanwhile the lessening of tourism has deeply
affected the economic problems of my town (Belmar) although as correctly
pointed out, the value of our houses has increased dramatically.  How long
that will happen with a disappearing Main Street has yet to be seen.